Friday, October 4, 2013

Part 2---Choices...Why do we do what we do



Continued from Part 1 from yesterday.......

I’m not going to drag you through the depths of all the things that changed me.  What is important to realize is that through the experiences of my life between the time I was 9 and 18 I had changed.  The basic goal behind all my priorities had become this huge need to feel important, be noticed, fit in, and be loved.

It’s funny because as I watch TV and see the ads I realize that what I was doing is exactly what the commercials sell us.  Every commercial tells the same story.  If you own this, or use this product, everyone is going to like you, the ladies are going to lust after you, the guys are going to appreciate you, and your life will be happy and complete.  I knew that my neighbor’s formula for happiness wasn’t right for me.  So I changed it just a little.  I figured if I did all those things for other people and not for myself it would somehow bring me the happiness I wanted.

What I didn’t realize is that I was placing all of my happiness on my ability to make other people happy, impressing them, or having them react to me in a way that made me feel good about me.  I don’t know if you have ever tried that but for the most part it doesn’t work.

About eight years ago things started changing in my life.  I have finally found the happiness I have always been looking for.  For me it wasn’t that hard because the basic principal has always been there.  I would always set goals and make choices in an effort to make other people happy.  I would push myself to the limits of what I was capable of in an effort to be the best person I was capable of being.  Over the last several years I have dropped the need to “see” the response I was looking for.  This has taken some huge realizations on my part.  I had to accept that:

Other people can not love me enough to keep me from hurting them. 

If this is true, then it is only fair for me to realize that I can’t love other people enough to keep them from hurting me.  

In other words, I was living a dream that “happiness” has no room for hurt, pain, or struggle.  My vision of happiness required too much of my loved ones, too much of myself, and too much of the things I turned to when my loved ones let me down.

These three realizations have changed my life.  Now when I play soccer I don’t worry so much about what everyone else is thinking, I relax, and I just have fun.  When I do things around the house I know it makes my wife feel loved and good inside even if she is still in a bad mood from a hard day’s work.  When I do things for my kids it makes me feel good to know that it helps them remember that they are loved even if they are complaining about something else 10 minutes later.

Something really amazing has happened.  As I have become less needy of getting the response I wanted I have become less angry, less critical, and way more relaxed.  As I have been transformed in these ways I have seen the people around me change too.  As they have changed they have become happier, easier to get along with, and there is more laughter and happiness in our home.  As soon as I quit working toward making them happy, I was able to be transformed into a person who quit keeping them from being happy.  Isn’t it funny how that works?

There is something else I remember about my neighbor.  Every year he used to throw a huge party for his entire family.  They would all come over and swim, play games, go sailing, water skiing, and cook steaks on the grill.  He told me that he always wanted a big family with lots of kids.  Family was really important to him.

About ten years ago he passed away.  I didn’t spend much time with him between those early years of my life and the day I went to his funeral.  I saw him from time to time.  I heard stories about him and his family.  I would bump into him and his wife at parties from time to time.  I saw enough to know that what I heard was true.

I would be wiling to bet you something.  Somewhere along the line either his “wanting a big family” never made it onto his list, somewhere along the line it got dropped, or just before he died he pushed it back again believing that maybe he could cheat death long enough to see it happen.

As I look back, there is only one thing that I am aware of that he wanted that he never had.  The family reunions ended, the big family never came.  He had a lot of people at his funeral.  I just don’t know how many of them were what he considered “family”.

I wish he was alive today because I would really like to talk to him about those conversations he and I had on his patio.  I wonder how much he would change.

I wonder if he ever realized where he had gone astray.

I wonder if he ever figured it out.

I wonder how many people spend their last breaths thinking the same things he was as he took his.

I may not accomplish everything he did but I do have the one thing that I don’t believe he ever had.

The only trophy is the feeling in my heart.  I have found happiness, contentment, and a sense of well-being.

I pray the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment